Thursday, June 30, 2011

God's Love Letters to You by Dr. Larry Crabb

This is a 40-day devotional that aims to ultimately bring the christian closer to God. Each day focuses on a specific book of the Bible and has a follow-up verse to go along with the study for that day. The verse is not always necessarily from the book of the Bible that the day focuses on, however. Each devotion focuses on a short phrase or statement that you spend your time reflecting over throughout the day's journey. The actual devotion is a brief extension of the statement for the day written from the perspective of God, as if He wrote the letter addressed to you. Following are some reflection questions and a prayer.

Let's start off with what I liked about the book. I really enjoy the cover design (a stamped letter) and the overall feel of the book. I have heard the author's name mentioned out of the mouths of some very exceptional people, so I figured this would be a good read. The first day I read it, I was really surprised, it hit the nail on the head with certain issues I had been dealing with in my personal life. This really got me excited about the book but now that excitement has turned to disappointment. Not gonna lie, it bothers me that each devotion is written from the point of view of God, as if He himself had written it. I believe that it is a very tricky and dangerous thing to put words in the mouth of God that He Himself has not directly stated in His Word. Otherwise, this is a really good devotional; it would have been better if the author wrote the letters from his perspective, however, because he does share some wonderful and provocative insight.

Despite what appears to be a negative review, I would recommend this devotional; especially to struggling, relatively new believers that have been walking with Christ for at least a year or so. It will definitely be a blessing to you. It really does challenge you to truly get to know more about the heart of God and the concluding prayers are so powerful and touching, it inspires change.

As a blogger for booksneeze, I received a copy of this book from Thomas Nelson publishers for the purpose of writing this review.  The opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to express your opinion, just please be respectable. No foul or crude language will be permitted.